Counting on counting: a new vision for accelerating progress in regenerative medicine and drug development
In this Podcast, we interview Dr James L Sherley, Founder and Director of Asymmetrex, LLC (MA, USA), on his career to date. Sherley also discusses how to advance tissue stem cell technologies to applications in cell therapies.
An outstanding issue that the cell therapy field has yet to resolve is how to ensure there are sufficient quantities of appropriate donor stem cells for effective treatment of patients in the clinic. In this podcast interview, Dr James L Sherley, Founder and Director of Asymmetrex, LLC (MA, USA), discusses his career to date and how to advance tissue stem cell technologies to applications in cell therapies.
Dr James L Sherley
James L Sherley, MD, PhD, is an award winning and highly respected scientist. Dr Sherley founded Asymmetrex when he was a senior scientist at the Boston Biomedical Research Institute, in June, 2009. Dr Sherley is a graduate from Harvard College in 1980 with a BA degree in biology. He completed a joint MD and PhD program from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 1988. After post-doctoral studies at Princeton University, he joined the Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia as a principal investigator in 1991. In 1998, he moved to the faculty at the Department of Biological Engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he pursued the new discipline of adult stem cell biological engineering. Dr Sherley has won numerous awards and accolades, including the 1993 Pew Scholars in Biomedical Research Award, the 2003 Ellison Medical Foundation Senior Scholar Award in Aging Research, and the 2006 NIH Director’s Pioneer Award. Dr Sherley has spent 20 years in regenerative biology and stem cell medicine fields. He has focused on elucidating mechanisms responsible for the specialized renewal properties of adult stem cells and using this knowledge to address major research problems limiting the development of adult stem cells for biomedicine. Read or download Dr Sherley’s entire curriculum vitae here.
- Rambhatla L, Bohn SA, Stadler PB, Boyd JT, Coss RA, Sherley JL. Cellular senescence: ex vivo p53-dependent asymmetric cell kinetics. J. Biomed. Biotech. 1, 27–36 (2001).
- Noh M, Smith JL, Huh YH, Sherley JL. A resource for discovering specific and universal biomarkers for distributed stem cells. PLoS ONE 6(7), e22077 (2011).
- Huh YH, Noh M, Burden F, Chen JC, Winkler DA, Sherley JL. Use of sparse feature bioinformatics to identify a novel pattern-specific biomarker for counting asymmetrically self-renewing distributed stem cells. Stem Cell Res. 14, 144–154 (2015).
- Human Stem Cell Toxicology. Sherley JL (Ed). Royal Society of Chemistry, London, UK (2016) (In Press).
- Asymmetrex Presents Its Crowdsourcing Campaign for Counting Adult Tissue Stem Cells at the 8th International Epigenetics, Stem Cells, Sequencing and SNiPs Meeting in August
- Asymmetrex reports positive indicators for adult tissue stem cells crowdsourcing campaign
This post is supported by Asymmetrex, LLC.